5:08 AM

The Deadline for Complaints was Yesterday

I went to pick up my taxes yesterday and this was a sign in my accountants office,  "The Deadline for Complaints was Yesterday".  I thought it was funny and I plan on using it on my kids when grumbling starts to rule the day.  If it doesn't make them smile, at least it will make me smile!

My morning devotion brought me to Philippians 4:8.  It will most certainly challenge me today.  I pray it does you too.  It says, "Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable- if anything is excellent or praiseworthy- think about such things."

Eight "whatevers" that the thoughts I have should contain.  They are all good things. They are things that make no room for complaining.  They are things that if my thoughts were focused on,  I am certain I would do a lot less complaining and a lot more praising. I would do a lot less talking and a lot more doing.   I would grumble less and smile more.  I don't think I could focus my thoughts and have them posses any of these "whatevers" and not have a mind filled with how God has worked, or how God wants to use me.  Not focusing on the "whatevers" in the verse puts me in danger.  Romans 1:21 says "For even though they knew God, they did not honor Him as God or give thanks, but they became futile in their speculations, and their foolish hearts were darkened."  Not focusing on the right things will darken my heart!  Why would I want that?  I certainly do not, but it is my natural tendency as a sinful person.  This is something that daily I need to be reminded of-  guarding my heart and mind to have thoughts that are honoring to God.

Dear Jesus,
Help me think about things that are true, noble, right, pure, lovely, admirable,  excellent and praiseworthy.  Keep me from being tempted to complain and not enjoy the journey you have for my life.  Amen.

0 comments: