4:00 AM

Korean BBQ Beef (Pul-Kogi)

koreMy family and I  tried this dish on Valentines day a couple of weeks ago and we loved it.  The lady who prepared it was Korean and she couldn't give me exact measurements from what she made because she just kind of "throws it all in there".  I can relate.  It's hard to give someone a recipe of something you have prepared so many times and you just kind of eye ball everything going in.  Last night I served my version and my family really enjoyed it.  They declared it a "do over" meal, which in this household means they would like me to make it again.  So here is the recipe that serves 5-6 people:


1 1/2 pounds beef top sirloin, sliced thin
9 cloves garlic, minced
1 pear- peeled, cored, and minced 
3 green onions, thinly sliced
1/4 cup soy sauce
3 tablespoons sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons sesame oil
1 1/2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
1 1/2 tablespoons sesame seeds
1 1/2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
freshly gound black pepper to taste



In a large plastic bag, combine all of the above ingredients.  I like to put my bag inside of a pitcher so the bag stands up.  It is a trick my mom taught me and it works great!


 Squish all the ingredients around in the bag to mix it up good.  Refrigerate for 2 to 3 hours.


Preheat pan over high heat.  Brush oil over pan, and add beef mixture.  Cook, turning to brown evenly, for 6-8 minutes, or until done.


Serve over rice or just by itself with some from vegetables and fresh bread.  Enjoy!

0 comments: