5:22 PM

Chicken Parmesan

I hadn't made this in a long time and then we had some company and my daughter has been asking for it again ever since.  When I made it for my company I thought that I had some of my own canned sauce, but discovered that I had run out and had to use some store bought that I had on hand in case of an emergency. Not that I would be able to give out our family pasta sauce recipe, but now I can safely tell you how I made a chicken parmesan that my family really enjoyed, even if it was made with store bought sauce.  I wonder if the older generation Italians in my family would would have used store bought pasta sauce but nevertheless I did and we all enjoyed it!

My measurements are a bit of guess work, but this is what I have come up with to feed 6 people: 1 can of pasta sauce (I used Prego- it's what I had a coupon for!), approximately 1 1/2 cups mozzarella cheese,  6-8 chicken breasts, 1 1/2 cup of Italian bread crumbs, 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, 1 egg, 1/2 cup buttermilk, oil for browning.

Mix together the egg and buttermilk and put the chicken in it.  I sliced the thicker pieces of chicken in half to get more pieces and to speed up the cooking time.



Next, mix together the bread crumbs and cheese and coat the chicken breasts in it, one at a time.
Set the coated chicken breasts to the side while you get all of them coated.



Heat the oil in a large pan over medium high heat and lay your coated chicken breasts in the pan.  I had a few pieces that didn't fit into the pan and I had to do when these were done.



Coat a 9 X 11 pan (or larger- I used a lasagna pan) with a small amount of sauce, just enough to cover the bottom of the pan.



When your chicken is browned on both sides, place in the pan on top of the sauce.  Drizzle more sauce on top of the chicken.  It is all to your taste, but I used about 1/2 the jar all together.  Sprinkle the mozzarella cheese on top and put into a preheated 350 degree oven for 30-40 minutes- or until chicken is done.



I served mine with boiled red skinned potatoes, tossed salad, and homemade bread.  I hope you enjoy what's for dinner!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Sue.....you can't post that you used Prego....you're going to get in trouble! If grandma was here, she'd be on the phone with you right away....didn't you learn from my story!!!

love ya girl!

Unknown said...

BTW, I LOVE your blog!!!! Keep the recipes comin'!

Unknown said...

This is your cousin Annie, not my mom! ☺

Susan said...

Annie you are too funny! I felt guilty not coming out of the closet on this one. I will boldly declare that occasionally I use store bought sauce!

Disclaimer: Only in emergencies do I consider it and only in extreme emergencies to I do it.