1:19 PM

Tomato Soup with Cheese Crackers

Tomato soup can be pretty simple.  Open a can of your favorite brand, pour in some milk, heat and serve.  The real challenge is making cheese crackers from scratch.  The two kind of crackers that are my kids favorite are goldfish and cheezits.  I was up to the challenge of making them this afternoon and found a great recipe on a blog called "Making New with the not so New".  I can't wait to experiment with this one and see what kinds of creations come out of it.  Of course I didn't have any fishy cookie cutters, so I decided to make my own like they did on the web site I visited.  I used the can that my tomato soup came in.  The ridges around it made it easy to get an even cut.


Cut the can in half first, and then cut an even strip around the can.












I made it into a fish shape as best I could.  I didn't use the whole strip because I tried to make it as little as possible.  I used hot glue to join the ends.  It doesn't look to pretty, but it got the job done.











This is what you need for the cracker dough:  1/2 cup white flour, 1/2 cup wheat flour, 4 tablespoons cold salted butter, 8oz shredded cheese (I used cheddar), 1/2 teaspoon pepper.

Preheat oven to 350.

Put all ingredients in a food processor and combine.  If it doesn't form into a ball (mine did not) add enough water to it so that it looks like the picture below. (I added approx. 1/4 cup water)



Flour your counter and roll the dough out until it is very thin.  It should not be more than 1/8" thick.  I broke the dough off in smaller pieces to make it easier.  If you make them thin enough, you should be able to fill approximately 4 cookie sheets.


Press your cookie cutters into the dough.  I found that I did have some other very small cookie cutters (a mitten and a snowflake), but making my own was fun!



Slide the shapes onto a cookie sheet.  I used parchment paper, but you don't have to.  I just find it easier to slide the paper off and let the crackers cool on the paper while I re-use the cookie sheet after I pull them out of the oven.



Put them in the oven for 15 minutes.  They should be golden brown when they are done.

Eat them by themselves, or put them in your soup!

When I make these again I am going to use sharper cheeses such as Asiago cheese and sharp white cheddar.  I also am going to use only wheat flour instead of any white.  They are very good the way they are, but it's always fun to try some new ways, don't you agree?

0 comments: