12:42 PM

Canning Pizza Sauce

I make pizza on a weekly basis, sometimes more.  While a $5 pizza is a good deal, making it at home is so much better and it costs less too!  In February I showed how you can make your own pizza (search this blog for "pizza from scratch").  One way to keep the cost  down is to make your own sauce.  I have found at Gordon's (a restaurant supply store) that if I use their large can of pizza sauce and mix it with almost another whole can of water and add a few spices of my own to flavor it the way I like, I can make enough sauce for about 30 pizzas.  The sauce is only $4.99 to begin with, so that is only about .16/pizza!  I also buy their large bag of mozzarella cheese and large bag of pepperoni.  Both of these things I can freeze and use as needed.  The sauce is what I want to show you today how to can.

When I made mine, I got 11 pints and 9 jelly jars out of the sauce. I did have a very small amount of extra pizza sauce that I added to it, but this gives you a rough estimate of how much it should make.  I get at least 2 pizzas out of a pint size  jar, and one out of a jelly jar.  The first thing you need to do is make sure you have all your jars cleaned (I put mine in the dishwasher), and that you have enough lids and rings.

Find a very large pot and pour the can of pizza sauce into it.  I am using a canning pot.  Fill the can that the sauce came in 3/4 full of water and pour that into the pot also.  Stir it up and add whatever spices you would like.  I add about 2 tablespoons of dried oregano and 2 teaspoons of garlic salt.  Put your burner on low and let it simmer for just a few of minutes.



Ladle the sauce into your jars, leaving one inch head space.




When all your jars are filled, wipe the top of each jar to make sure they are clean to ensure the lids will seal.

Bring your lids to a simmer for 2 minutes and then turn off the burner.  Lift each one out with a canning magnet and place on top of the jars one at a time.  Screw a band on each one before moving on.




Now you have two ways you may can the jars.  You can either use a canning pot, like the one I mixed the sauce in, and do what's called a water bath for 20 minutes, or you can use a pressure canner.  I am using a pressure canner because it fits all my jars at once.  If you are using a canning pot, you need to place the jars in the pot (with the basket in the bottom).  If your pot does not have a basket, you can use a  hand towel on the bottom to make sure the jars are not directly on the bottom of the pot.  You can put two layers of jars in, but you can only put a jelly jar on top of a pint jar.  Two pint jars on top of each other brings it a little too high (at least in my pot).  After you have your pot filled with jars you fill the pot with water (approximately the same temperature as the sauce) so that the jars are covered with about 1 inch of water.  Place the pot on the burner and bring to a boil.  Once the water comes to a boil start timing 20 minutes. You can turn your burner down at this point, just make sure it stays boiling.  They will be ready to come out after the 20 minutes is up.  If you are using a pressure canner, fill the canner 3 inches deep with water.  Place your jars in (2 pint size can go on top of each other) and put the lid on.  Turn your burner on high and wait for the pressure gauge to reach 12 pounds.  Once the pressure is reached, start timing for 7 minutes.  You may need to turn your burner down to keep it at 12 pounds.  After 7 minutes turn the burner off and wait for the pressure to be released from the pot.  (Refer to your manufactures instructions for any questions regarding this.)


Take the jars out by using a canner gripper and place the jars on a towel to cool.  You know they are sealed when you hear a popping sound.  This can happen right away, or it may take some time.  After they are completely cooled, you can touch the top of the lid to make sure it is sealed.  It should not "click" if it sealed properly.  If it does click you have the option of taking the lid off, cleaning the top of the jar and putting a new lid on and reprocessing it.  Or you can just put it in the refrigerator and use it up as you would if it were already opened.  I have never had something not seal, but I do know a common reason for this happening is when not enough head space is left.  So make sure you have left 1 inch at the top.




Now you can sit back and admire the fact that you have just made enough sauce to make at least 30 pizzas!




0 comments: