8:29 PM

Chinese Broccoli Salad

I think most people have made or tasted Chinese cole slaw by now.  It is a family favorite of ours and I run into different varieties at different pot lucks.  However, I never seen it made with broccoli like my mom just told me about and it is delicious!  My mom is never short on good suggestions for recipes. She is an awesome cook and always an inspiration for me in more areas than just the kitchen!

What you will need for this recipe is the following:
The Salad:
1 head of fresh broccoli
Handful of baby carrots

The Dressing:
1/2 cup oil (I used canola)
3 teaspoons vinegar
2 teaspoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon pepper
seasoning packet from chicken flavored Ramen noodles

Topping:
1 package of Ramen noodles
1 tablespoon sesame seeds
1/4 cup sliced almonds

Chop the broccoli and carrots into bite size pieces


Combine the oil, vinegar, sugar, pepper and seasoning packet and pour over the vegetables. Refrigerate while you prepare the crunchy topping.

Crush the Ramen noodles and spread on a cookie sheet.  Add the sesame seeds and almonds.  Put them in the oven to toast them at 350 for 10 minutes.

I like to keep the crunchy topping separate from the salad until right before serving so that they stay crunchy.  I served mine with grilled steak and red skinned potatoes.  It sounded good to serve a summer type meal on this unusually mild winter day.

0 comments: