7:42 AM

Marshmallows




It all started when I went to get my hair cut and I was thumbing through a magazine and saw an advertisement for Domino Sugar with a recipe for marshmallows.  I've had it in my head to make them ever since.  When looking up how to make them I found numerous recipes. Who knew so many people make marshmallows!  I chose this one because of the step by step directions with pictures.  You can visit howcast.com to see what I used, or just continue on and I will show you.

What you will need:
1/2 cup cold water
3 envelopes (about 3 tablespoons) unflavored gelatin
1 cup corn syrup
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cup water
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/4 vanilla extract or other flavoring, like mint or almond
powdered sugar for dusting
candy thermometer
stand mixer with a whisk attachment (At the very least a handheld mixer with a whisk attachment, do not attempt without a whisk attachment!)


Spray your pan and use some of the powdered sugar to coat your pan.  I used some parchment paper on the bottom but you do not have to.  Just make sure your pan is coated good.









Pour the 3 envelopes of gelatin into the bowl of an electric mixer and add the 1/2 cup of cold water.  Let sit while you move on to the next step.












Combine 1 1/2 cups of granulated sugar, 1/2 cup water and 1 cup corn syrup in a small saucepan.













Place a candy thermometer in the mixture and heat up to 235 degrees (the soft ball stage).














With the mixer on low, pour the syrup in a slow, steady stream into the gelatin mixture.  Add the 1/8 teaspoon of salt.  Mix on high speed until soft peaks form.  My mixer only took 5 minutes, but it can take up to 15 minutes.









Add the extract of your choice and food coloring, if you are using some, when the sugar mixture has a shine to it.











Pour the sticky mixture into your prepared pan.  It helps to coat your hands and scraping utensil with cooking spray.










Sprinkle more powdered sugar on top.  If you want you can cover more paper or plastic wrap and smooth it out so it is even.  I did not do this and it worked out just fine.  Let the marshmallow sit at room temperature for at least 4 hours.  I made mine in the evening and let it sit overnight.








Remove the slab from the pan by turning it upside down onto a cutting board that is coated with more  powdered sugar.















Now you can cut them any way you would like.  I couldn't wait to try my snowflake cookie cutter and it worked great for a few, but then it got gummed up with the marshmallow.   I am sure a larger cutter would be better.  Using a pizza cutter is also a fast and easy way to do it.  I dusted off as mush of the powdered sugar as I could because they are pretty sweet.  They need to be stored in an airtight container.  I wasn't sure about the stickiness so I put wax paper between the layers.  Now I need to let some ideas settle in my mind about how I can decorate them.  I already know I will be using some in my for rice crispy treats and homemade rocky road icecream.  If you make any and have a clever way you have used them, take a picture and let me know, I will try to post some of your creations.

2 comments:

KHeins said...

These are so cool!

Caroline said...

Susan,
Your picture looks so inviting I will have to give this a try but you know how dad feels about marshmallows.
Love, Mom