12:49 PM

Graham Crackers


Ever since I mastered the marshmallows, I have had on my mind to make graham crackers.  How cool to make my own s'mores mostly from scratch (I have not yet made my own chocolate).  These are delicious crackers that were as easy to make as sugar cookies.  Making them again would be easy because all the ingredients are common.  Here they are:

2 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/3 cup honey
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup milk



Using a wire whisk, blend together 2 cups whole wheat flour, 1 cup all-purpose flour, 1 teaspoon baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon baking soda; set aside.















In a medium bowl, cream together 1/2 cup softened butter, 1/2 cup packed brown sugar,  1/3 cup honey until light and fluffy.











Stir in the dry ingredients alternating with the milk and vanilla.













Cover dough and refrigerate at least 4 hours.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.













Divide chilled dough into quarters.













On a well floured surface roll each of the quarters into the dough a 5 X 15 inch rectangle. I think next time I may use cookie cutters instead.












Divide into rectangles using a knife.  Place rectangles onto ungreased cookie sheets.  Mark a line down the center of each one and prick with a fork.











Bake for 13-15 minutes in the preheated oven.  Remove from baking sheets to cool on wire racks.












Here is a picture of the smore.  Yummy!

Note:  The marshmallows were posted December 11th.  All I did to make the s'more was cut the marshmallow the size of the graham cracker and drizzle melted chocolate over it and topped it with another graham cracker.





















1 comments:

Caroline said...

MMMMMM they look so good! You will have to save one of those for me. You know what dad thinks of marshmallows. I can't believe your crackers look just like the ones you buy. What a girl!!!!