3:09 PM

Miniature Meat Pies

miniature meat pies, Taste of Home August 2010

 I have been looking back at my older posts and realized it may be helpful to have a picture of the end product at the beginning so that you know whether or not it looks good to you so that you don't have to scroll down to find out if it is something you want to try out.  Let me know what you think.  Also, in the past, a number of people have told me they really like when I show a picture of the list of ingredients.  Sometimes I am in way too much of a hurry to be able to set everything up for this and my family could care less about a blog when they are hungry!

Some time ago I posted how to can ground beef.  Although not necessary, this is a great meal to use that in.

Here is what you will need:
Filling
1 pound cooked ground beef
1/2 cup chili sauce (I left this out of mine because I didn't have any, but it would have been good)
2 tablespoons onion soup mix (I used a whole package to make up for not having the chili sauce)
Dough
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 to 2 tablespoons sesame seeds, optional
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup shortening
3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
3/4 cup evaporated milk
1 tablespoon vinegar

Here is what you do:

Mix the filling ingredients and set aside.  In a large bowl, combine 3 cups flour, 1 - 2 tablespoons sesame seeds if desired, and 1 teaspoon salt.  Cut in 1 cup shortening and 3/4 cup cheese until crumbly.




Combine 3/4 cup milk and 1 tablespoon vinegar; gradually add to flour mixture, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball.


Divide dough in half; roll out to 1/8 inch thickness.  Cut with a lightly floured 2 1/2 inch round cutter.  Place half of the circles 2 inches apart on ungreased baking sheets.  (This actually made almost a whole 2  trays, or 30 pies)

Top each with a rounded tablespoonful of beef mixture; top with remaining circles.  Moisten edges with water and press with a fork to seal.



Bake at 425 for 12-16 minutes or until golden brown.  Serve immediately; or cool, then place in a freezer bag.  Some of my family liked to dip theirs in sour cream, others in ketchup.

To use frozen meat pies place on an ungreased baking sheet.  Bake at 425 for 14-16 minutes or until heated through.  These have been handy to have on hand for a meaty snack.

1 comments:

Caroline said...

Susan,
Well this does look good! It sounds like it would be great for hungry ACTIVE people. Just a bit to many calories for me right now. I did try the Tilapia for dinner yesterday and it was great. Dad even liked it. You know how he feels about fish. Make it a great day. Love, Mom