8:35 AM

Chipotle Steak Sandwiches with Cucumber Salad

We were on a long ride up North so I made sure I grabbed a magazine to look at on the way.  I found this recipe in my Good Housekeeping June issue.  Despite my husbands belief that all the recipes in "girly" magazines have "girly" recipes, I think he was wrong this time.  I admit I like my carbohydrates and salads more then him, but this was a pretty hearty meal, even though it included a cucumber salad on the side!

What you need (modified a little from the magazine)
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/2 tsp. chipotle chile powder
1 1/2 - 2 lbs steak 1 inch thick (I used T-bone)
salt and pepper to taste
1 medium sweet onion thinly sliced
1 large cucumber thinly sliced
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon grated peeled fresh ginger
3 ciabatta rolls, halved and toasted-optional

In a small bowl, combine mayonnaise and chile powder.  Set aside.  The original recipe called for only half the amount of both, but I ended up making up another batch after I ran short when it was time to spread it on the bread.



Heat cast iron or other heavy skillet on medium-high until very hot.  Season steak with salt and pepper; cook 15 minutes for medium or until desired doneness, turning once.  Transfer to cutting board; let stand.



To same skillet, add onion, 1 tablespoon water, and 1/8 teaspoon salt.  Reduce heat to medium-low; cook 5 - 7 minutes or until tender, stirring.

Meanwhile, in medium bowl, toss cucumber, lemon juice, ginger, and 1/8 teaspoon salt until well mixed.

Slice steak across grain.  Spread chile mayonnaise on rolls; top with steak and onion.  Serve with cucumber salad.

In addition to the cucumber salad I had some fresh corn on the cob, grape tomatoes, and garden salad.  Enough food to satisfy my husbands man size appetite!

2 comments:

Caroline said...

Hi Susan,
I don't know what happened to my first post so I am trying again. What I said was WOW!!! This really looks good and I will be putting it on my menu soon. See you tomorrow. Of yes, and I hope your bread baking class goes well.\
Love,
Mom

Caroline said...

Susan,
I finally got around to fixing this recipe for dinner last night. Dad loved it!!! It was very good. Thank you.
Love,Mom