8:57 AM

Granola Cereal



For almost 20 years I have been making my own granola cereal.  I originally found the recipe in a cookbook called Once-A-Month Cooking by Mimi Wilson and Mary Beth Lagerborg.

This granola was a favorite of my cousin Ron.  I would make it as often as I could for Cheryle, Ron and their girls.  They have always been such a blessing to my family, it was such a little thing I could thank them with.  After they moved away I still made it, just not as often.  After Ron died, it just made me think about him too much and  I really hadn't made it for almost 4 years.  My daughter kept asking me for it and I felt it was time to start making it again.

What I like about this recipe is how creative you can be with it.  I will give you the basics and you can add your own personal tastes.  I have come up with endless combinations over the years and I sure you will too!  Please pass on some of your favorite concoctions by leaving a comment.

8 cups old fashioned oats (not instant)
1 1/4 cups firmly packed brown sugar (or pure raw cane sugar, my favorite to use)
1 1/2 cups unprocessed bran
1 1/2 cups natural wheat germ
1 cup chopped nuts
1/2 cup oil (I like to use canola)
3/4 cup honey (or agave nectar)
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 cups dried fruit

Preheat oven to 325.

Stir 8 cups oats, 1 1/4 cups sugar, 1 1/2 cups bran, 1 1/2 wheat germ, and 1 cup  nuts in a large bowl.

Put 1/2 cup oil, 3/4 cup honey, and 2 teaspoons vanilla in a small saucepan and heat until it bubbles up.

Pour over dry ingredients and stir until it is all coated.

 Spread onto two rimmed cookie sheets.  I like to line mine with parchment paper, but you could also spray the cookie sheets with cooking spray.  Bake in preheated oven at 325 for 15-20 minutes, stirring once to keep granola evenly browned.  While it cools, stir mixture several times to keep it from sticking together.


When it is completely cool, you can add the dried fruit.  Store in an airtight container.  Makes about 16 cups.

2 comments:

Caroline said...

Susan,
I remember and it makes me sad. I am sure Ron is smiling right now.
Love,
Mom

Anonymous said...

This was so good! I have been using your granola bar recipe for over a year now, and I just tried this for my trail mix. My family loved it.