2:33 PM

How about some Tortillas!

We had some tacos last night for dinner and even though no one has requested it, I thought someone might want to make some homemade tortilla shells.  They are so much better than store bought (in the opinion of my family).  They also make excellent breakfast wraps if you fill them with eggs and cheese.  I'm sure your imagination could find many things to put inside of them after you try them.  They are a little time consuming, but the effort is so worth it.  By the way, this is my first time solo on this endeavor of importing pictures to this blog.  XX (me crossing my fingers)

List of ingredients:  3 cups of flour, 1/3 cup of oil, 1 teaspoon of salt, 1 cup warm water

In a medium sized bowl, mix the flour and oil until it crumbles.


Dissolve the salt in the warm water and pour into the flour mixture.




Use a wooden spoon to combine the dough.  It should be a little sticky, but clean the sides of the bowl.



Knead the dough on a lightly floured surface for about a minute (until it is not too sticky).  It helps to flour your hands if it is too hard to handle.


Divide the dough into 16 pieces.  A pastry scraper works best.



Roll out each ball into a 6-7 inch circle.  Do this on an unfloured surface.  It makes it much easier for the dough to spread out thin.  I have a tortilla press that helps to flatten the dough, but it is not necessary.



Take the flattened out dough and put into a preheated skillet (I prefer cast iron).  The pastry scraper works best to get it off the counter.  The skillet should be at medium heat.  You can spread a small amount of oil in the skillet, depending on your taste.  We like ours a little crispy so I do coat the bottom of the skillet with olive oil.


Using tongs, turn the dough over when it starts to bubble up.  During this whole process, start rolling out another piece of dough while you are waiting for your dough in the skillet to be done.  The first side takes about 1 minute.  The second side, only about 30 seconds.




Top your tortilla with whatever you like and THAT WHAT'S FOR DINNER!
ENJOY!

4 comments:

Cathy Rowan said...

hi susan, thanks for the tortilla recipe, i am excited to try. We use tortillas often and i struggle with the ingredients! Have you tried using wheat flour or oat? We grind our grain so i am wondering if it would be too dense. I am trying the laundry soap tomorrow. I am liking it and have shared your blog with others. thanks for a great idea! Have a blessed day. Cathy Rowan

Susan said...

Hi Cathy,

I grind my own flour too! I have found the wheat flour is my favorite. It tastes really good with scrambled eggs and cheese. Yum, I think I am going to make some right now!

Faye Marie Arndt said...

HI Susan,
I was inspired by your blog and made the tortillas for dinner tonight. They were a hit. I don't think I'll ever buy store bought ones again. Thanks for sharing.
Blessings,
Faye

Susan said...

I am so glad you enjoyed them. Paul would be happy to know the recipe was inspired from an old Disney cookbook I had long ago. No wonder you guys liked it!