1:48 PM

Liquid Hand Soap

So maybe sometimes I think to much about how to save money, but this discovery was fun for me and I    think you'll agree.  Have you ever noticed how bar soap is less expensive than liquid soap?  The only problem is hand soap has draw backs as well.  It may cost less, but it leaves soap scum in the soap dish or washes away even when you aren't using it if water is running over it.  Hence the discovery of making my own liquid soap.  I mainly use it for hand soap, because it isn't quite as thick as body soap.  But in the case of running out of body soap (a frequent happening in my bathroom), it can be used in the shower or bathtub as well.

All you need is:
one 4 oz bar of soap (or scraps of different bar soaps to equal about 4 oz)
4 cups of water
squirt bottle, cleaned out empty milk jug, or something to store your soap
cheese grater mixer
1 tablespoon coconut butter, optional (it helps add lather to your soap)
Large bowl
funnel or liquid measuring cup
container to store your soap (such as a cleaned out milk jug)
squirt bottle or liquid hand pump container

Here's what you do (someone deleted my photos :( so I'm just going to tell you how to do it.)

Shave the soap using a cheese grater
Heat the 4 cups of water until boiling and then turn off the burner
Add the 4 oz of shaven soap and stir until it is melted
If you are using coconut butter, add 1 tablespoon
After the soap is completely melted, pour into a bowl or stand mixer and mix on high for 2 minutes.  (It should get thick and frothy)
Pour mixture into a bowl and let it sit overnight or a few hours.
Using a funnel or liquid measuring cup, pour into a cleaned out gallon milk jug or whatever you choose to use to store it.
From the milk jug you can pour it into a plastic squirt bottle and use it from there, or squirt it into another decorative pump bottle.




Enjoy this one.  Let me know how it works out for you (I'm talking to you Elizabeth, I know you are going to try this!)

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you think this would work if you used unscented soap and added and essential oil? Wendy