6:56 AM

Homemade Sour Cream

A favorite condiment in my household is sour cream.  Whether it is for tacos or a baked potato, it is often on the dinner table.  I discovered how incredibly easy it is to make, so I thought I would pass it on to you.  I found this recipe on motherearthnews.com but since then I have found many variations to it.  This recipe worked great for me, let me know how it turns out for you.

What you need:
1 cup of heavy cream
1/4 cup buttermilk (or sour cream)
Mason jar with lid (or any glass jar with lid)


A recipe doesn't get much easier than this.  All you do is combine the two ingredients in the jar, put the lid on top, shake it up to combine it, and then let it sit 24 hours at room temperature.  It will become very thick and delicious.  After the 24 hours, put in the refrigerator to chill.  Make sure it is well chilled before using.  If you want a lighter sour cream, substitute whole milk for 1/2 cup of the heavy cream.

1 comments:

Caroline said...

Susan,
I am glad I had a chance to taste this cheese. It is great!!! Along with all the bread, bagels and pie you brought to Jenny's WOW!
I have to get back on track today.
Love,
Mom