6:55 PM

Fancy Fast Chicken

After my husband graduated from college we moved to New York for a position at a church as a youth minister.  That job involved meeting many fantastic people.  Everyone knew we were living away from our families and they were more than gracious at making us feel like a part of theirs.  One particular family invited us for dinner and served this dish.  It's funny, because out of all the people to have us over and all the different meals we were served, this one stuck with me.  I have made it for dinner often ever since, 20 years later!

The ingredients are very basic:  6 chicken breasts (bone-in, or boneless), 6 slices of swiss cheese (or whatever you have on hand), a can of cream of chicken soup (or any can of cream soup), 1 cup of milk, 2 cups of one-step stuffing.


Coat a baking dish with cooking spray and lay the chicken breast on the bottom.  Lay a piece of cheese over each chicken breast.  (I could have used more chicken breasts to fill my dish, I didn't realize some of the chicken breasts I had defrosted were so little).

Mix the soup and milk together and pour over the chicken.


Pour the 2 cups of stuffing over the top.

Bake at 400 until the chicken is done.  If you are using boneless it should take about 45 minutes.  If you are using bone-in it should take about an hour.  It tastes really good with mashed potatoes because all the ingredients you poured over the chicken make a really good gravy!  My family also likes Caesar Salad with it (which I also have posted).

3 comments:

judy said...

Hi Susan,
Just made the chicken tonite. It was really good.
The only thing was the chicken wasn't done in 45 min. I don't know why, they were boneless. Oh well, once done they were great. Just had a late dinner. I have another dinner for the 2 of us for next week out of it and will surely make it again. Definately fancy enough for company. Thanks and Happy Birthday!

judy said...

Well, just wanted to update you on why the chicken didn't get done for me. There's something wrong with my oven. The bottom bake coil is burned out. I realized it wasn't me when I cooked a batch of muffins and they didn't cook either. 3 times in one week is not human error!
Thanks again, great recipe.

Susan said...

I'm glad you got that figured out. I was going to suggest that maybe your chicken breasts were thicker than what I usually use. I hope your oven is fixed now!