7:53 AM

Multigrain Sandwich Bread

So I am back with some recipes after a couple of weeks off.  I have had these pictures stored in my camera for quite some time and am excited to share this bread with you.  I had been searching for a whole grain bread that I could get to rise higher than four inches that I could actually use for sandwiches.  I came across this one and it is so good.  I made a couple of modifications to the recipe I found and my whole family gobbled this up.  I am going to give you the recipe doubled because it will then make 2 loaves.  After I made it the first time I wished that I would have just doubled it to begin with because it is a little time consuming to make and the bread was gone so quickly.  It can be frozen and it tastes just as good when it is thawed.  I found this one from a blog called homecookinginmontana.  So here is what you will need:

2 cups 10 grain hot cereal (or any multigrain hot cereal)
4 cups boiling water
6 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled
6 tablespoons honey
5-6 cups all purpose flour
2 cups whole wheat flour
2 1/2 tablespoons yeast (or 2 packages)
1 tablespoon salt

In a medium blow, add boiling water to the hot cereal and stir to mix.



Stir occasionally until it is just warm, about 110 degrees.  This should take about 15 minutes depending on the temperature in your kitchen.  Stir in  the melted butter and honey.

Combine the white flour (start with 5 cups), wheat flour, yeast and salt in your mixer bowl.  Use the dough hook.  On low speed, add the cereal mixture and mix about 2 minutes.  Increase the speed to med-low and knead the dough until it is smooth and elastic.  This should take about 8 minutes.  If after 4 minutes, the dough is still sticking to the side of the mixer bowl, add 2 tablespoons of flour at a time until it doesn't.  You want the dough to clear the side of the bowl and stick only on the bottom.  You can make this without a standing mixer, just make sure you knead it long enough to create a very stiff dough that will not take on anymore flour.




Turn the dough on a lightly floured board and knead by hand to form a smooth ball.  Place the dough in a large oiled bowl and cover with plastic wrap.

Let rise in a warm place until doubled in size (about 1 1/2 hours).  Grease a 9 X 5 loaf pan.  Roll the risen dough onto the counter and gently divide it in two.


Flatten each piece into a square and then tightly roll into a cylinder shape.  Pinch the seam so that it stays closed and place into the greased loaf pans.




Cover loosely with plastic wrap and let rise again until doubled in size.  For this batch I ran out of time to let it rise as much as I should have, but it should take about another 45 minutes.  Adjust the oven rack to the lower-middle position.  Heat the oven to 350 degrees.  Brush the loaf lightly with melted butter if you desire.  Bake for 40-50 minutes or until golden brown.  Cool the loaves in the pan for 15 minutes.  Take out and cool for 2 hours.  I freeze any bread that I am not going to use within 24 hours.  You can even slice the bread before freezing it so make it easier to defrost just what you need.

Enjoy a hearty sandwich on wonderful bread.

5 comments:

Caroline said...

Susan,
This sounds really good. I am a little fearful when you say it is a little time consuming because you usually say "Oh no problem it is soooo easy" and I say "Oh right!!!"
Love,
Mom

Unknown said...

Ohhhh...this looks really good Sue. I'm going to make it for my fam. Yummo!

ps-I love your blog...keep it up!

Susan said...

Don't be afraid of this one. I said it is time consuming, not difficult. The effort is well worth it!

Susan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Katelyn Heins said...

SO delicious!