6:40 PM

Chicken Nuggets


Recently my sister told me she found a recipe for chicken nuggets.  My little guy loves chicken nuggets but I always cringe when buying them because who really knows what are in them?  I adapted this recipe from what I found from this blog.  My family really enjoyed them and I am sure you will too.  I advice three things after making these that I would like to pass on to you.  First, invest in a cookie scoop.  It will make the job go so much quicker! Second, double the recipe and keep some on hand in the freezer for a quick snack.  Thirdly, if you do not have a way to grind your meat at home, using already ground chicken that you buy at the store works just fine too.

Here is what you need:

Chicken Mixture:
 4 1/2 chicken breast cup up (or 2 pounds of ground chicken)
1 egg beaten
1 1/2 teaspoon salt*
1 teaspoon celery salt (I did not have any and likewise left it out, it tasted fine to us without!)
1 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon black pepper*
*note that using Kosher salt and coarse black salt taste best, but use what you have on hand

Egg Wash:
2 beaten eggs

Seasoned Flour:
1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon baking powder

Frying:
I used canola oil in my deep fryer, but you could also pan fry them.


Grind up the chicken. Or, open your package of already ground chicken from the store!  Mix the chicken with 1 egg, 1 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon celery salt (if using), 1 teaspoon onion powder, 1/2 teaspoon pepper.









Using a wire whisk, blend together 1 cup flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, 1/2 teaspoon onion powder, 1/4 teaspoon paprika, 1/4 teaspoon baking powder.










Beat together 2 eggs for the egg wash.













Using a cookie scoop, or your hands, roll 1 1/2 tablespoon of the meat mixture into balls.  Dip the balls into the seasoned flour and flatten the balls down with your fingers.










Take the flattened balls and dip them in the egg wash.  Place them on a cookie sheet that is either sprayed or parchment lined because they will start to stick.









Place the chicken pieces back in the seasoned flour mixture.











Now they are ready to be fried.













I used a deep fryer for mine, but it would be easy to pan fry them also.  Just fry until they are golden brown on both sides.









Enjoy!

0 comments: