3:11 PM

Chocolate (bunny) Stack Loaf



Alice Medrich"s Chocolate Stack Loaf

I believe I have pulled out my  February issue of Better Homes and Gardens more than any other magazine in the past 4 months or so.  When I was baking for a coffee house I was always on the look out for desserts to place in the display.  This was one that I loved  so much I have repeated it many times.  I decided to post it because my magazine is falling apart and I need a place to store this recipe in a safe place. 

I used this recipe this past Easter weekend to make a bunny cake.  We had an Easter fair at church and they needed cakes for the cake walk, which was also a cake competition.  My daughter and her friends also entered a cake that I have pictured at the end of this post. Neither of us won, but I think they did a spectacular job.

You will need the following for the cake:

1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/3 cup natural unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teapoon salt
1/2 cup butter, melted
2 eggs
1/2 teaspoon vanila extract
1/2 cup hot tap water

You will need the following for the fudge frosting:

3 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup cocoa powder
pinch of salt
1/2 cup of heavy cream
(Note: the original recipe calls for twice the amount of frosting I am telling you to use.  I think half the amount is plenty!)

Position rack in the lower third of oven.  Preheat oven to 350.  Lightly grease side of 13x9x2-inch baking pan.  Line bottom of pan wth parchment paper; set aside.

In large mixing bowl whisk together 1 cup flour, 1 cup brown sugar, 1/3 cup cocoa powder, 1/2 tsp baking soda, 1/4 tsp salt.






Add 1/2 cup cup melted butter, 2 eggs, and 1/2 tsp. vanilla.  Whisk gently until dry ingredients are moistened and mixture resembles a thick paste.  Whisk briskly about 30 strokes.  Tap or shake any batter from whisk. Use rubber spatula to sir in hot water, scraping sides as necessary, just until batter is blended and smooth.  With spatula scrape batter from bowl into prepared pan and spread to make a thin even layer.





With spatula scrape batter from bowl into prepared pan and spread to make a thin even layer.  Bake 14-16 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted into center  comes out clean.  Cool in pan on wire rack 10 minutes.  Slide a thin metal spatula or knife around cake edges to loosen from pan.  Invert cake onto rack.  Remove paper liner; carefully turn cake right side up.  Cool completely.





While the cake is in the oven make the frosting since it takes time to cool down. You may even consider making this before you make the cake.  In a medium saucepan melt 3 tbsp butter.  Stir in 1/2 cup sugar, 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder and a pinch of salt.  Gradually stir in 1/2 cup heavy cream.  Heat, stirring constantly, until smooth and hot but not boiling.  Remove from heat; stir in 1 tsp pure vanilla extract.  Set aside; cool until thickened and spreadable.  To cool quickly, loosely cover and refrigerate 1 hour.  Store up to 1 week in refrigerator.





Cut cake crosswise in three equal rectangles.  Thickly spread frosting on one piece, top with a second piece and spread with frosting.  Continue with frosting the sides. I put my cake on a piece of cardboard on the bowl turned upsidedown to make it easier to frost.








I transformed my into a bunny by having my artistic oldest daughter draw a bunny face for me on a piece of cardboard.  I cut it out and leaned it againt the cake.  I used colored coconut for grass.















And as promised to my daughters and her friends, the cake they entered in the contest.  I think you will agree they did a great job. Their homemade buttercream frosting was out of this world! I give them honorable mention! (They should have won if you ask me!)


0 comments: