12:05 PM

Best Ever Fresh Salsa


I served this meal a few nights ago and it was something everyone enjoyed.  I thought I would share with you the salsa part of the meal because that is what really made it so good.  For my dinner, I made flour tortillas (posted on January 26, 2010 ) and topped it with breaded chicken fingers and homemade sour cream (posted on June 14, 2010) and then added lettuce and the salsa.  I am sure you will find other ways to use this most delicious salsa.

The recipe comes from my relatives who once lived in Southern California.   If you are someone who perfers fresh salsa over canned salsa, this recipe will not disappoint.  I did process a few jars this past fall by using the tomatoes from my garden.  I had to blanch the tomatoes first to remove the skins.  It turned out pretty good, but not as good as the fresh.

What you will need:

2 tomatoes
2 tablespoons chopped red onion
3 tablespoons chopped celery
3 tablespoons green pepper
2 whole chopped green onion
2 tablespoons diced green chile pepper (I used 1/2 of a 7 oz can)
1/2 teaspoon mustard seed
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon chopped cilantra 
1/2 teaspoon each of salt and pepper
2 tablespoons oil

Just mix all the ingredients and your done!  Putting it in the refrigerator about an hour before you serve it makes it slightly better, but isn't necessary.  If you like it hotter, add more green chile peppers.  Or if you like it milder, omit the chile peppers.  I also had some red and orange pepper that I added to mine.  It yields approximately 1 quart.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.