5:58 PM

Multigrain Pancake Mix (eggless!)

Multigrain Pancakes adapted from Disney's Family Coookbook

Yesterday I was at a good friends house and as the evening was coming to an end I picked up a magazine and saw a recipe for adding oats to pancake batter.  Immediately I was reminded of this recipe. I used to make up this dry pancake mix so that a healthier warm breakfast could be enjoyed by hungry children on cold winter mornings.  I'm not quite sure why I haven't made it in so long, but I think it had something to do with the bulk food store closing that I used to get all my ingredients from.  It seems so unfortunate to me now because everything you need to make this you can readily find at the grocery store.

In a large bowl, whisk together the following:

3 cups all-purpose flour
3 teaspoons baking soda
4 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 tablespoon sugar
2 cups whole wheat or oat flour (or a combination)
1 cup 10 grain hot cereal (such as Bob's Red Mill)
1 cup cornmeal (I use finely ground)
4 tablespoons wheat germ or wheat bran
2 envelopes (3.2 oz each) of Carnation nonfat dry milk (enough to make 2 quarts of milk)*

*this is optional, but then you need to add milk to the dry mix when you are making the batter.
To make the pancakes:

Mix 1/2 cup of the mix, and enough water (if you added the powdered milk to the mix), or milk (if you left the powdered milk out) to the consistency you desire. You can add more mix depending on how thick you like it.  You can also use yogurt instead of milk for a little thicker consistency.


Over medium heat, melt butter or heat oil in a skillet.  Laddle the pancake batter onto the skillet.  Turn the pancakes when you see air bubbles on the surface (about 1 minute).  Serve with maple syrup, jam, yogurt, or confectioners' sugar.  Makes about 5 medium pancakes.

Here are some variations you might want to try.  If you come up with a creative variation, let me know by posting a comment.
Cranberry-Pecan (my favorite): Toss a handful of dried cranberries and chopped pecans in the batter.
Apple-Walnut:  Toss chopped walnuts, sliced apples, and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon in the batter.
Cranberry-Orange:  Add 1/2 cup dried cranberries, 1 tablespoon orange juice, and 1 teaspoon orange zest to the batter.
Banana:  Top pancakes with sliced bananas before flipping.
Pumpkin:  Mix 2 tablespoons of mashed pumpkin and 1 teaspoon of allspice into the batter.
Blueberry:  Top pancakes with fresh or frozen blueberries before flipping.

Be on the look out for homemade syrup that I will be posting next!

1 comments:

Caroline said...

WOW!!! These sound very substantial. Something that can get you through the morning! I will have to give them a try.
Love,
Mom