5:44 PM

French Onion Soup


I had never made French Onion Soup before tonight.  Ever since my Mom mentioned she had made it about a week ago I have had it in my mind to give it a try.  This is my mothers recipe and anyone who has ever tried her cooking knows that everything she makes keeps you coming back for more.  I come from an Itailian family so when I get a recipe from my mom the measurement of ingredients can be a bit loose, so feel free to make it to your taste.  I used homemade French bread that I posted January 11 of 2010, but you could also use croutons or dare I even mention store bought French bread!  Whatever way you choose I am sure you will enjoy this one.


Ingredients to make 5-6 servings:

5 small white onions
2 Tablespoons butter
1/8 cup sugar
6 cups beef broth
1/8 cup dry white wine
splash of Worcestershire Sauce
1 minced garlic clove
salt and pepper to taste
1 loaf of sliced toasted French Bread
5-6 slices of Swiss cheese


Begin by slicing the onion very thin.  Everyone seems to have an opinion about a technique to  not make your eyes water. So here goes mine; put them in the freezer for a few minutes before slicing.










After you have the onion sliced add the 2 tablespoons of butter and saute them in a large pot for 10 minutes.  The onion will start to carmelize during this time so you should begin to notice the onion turning brown.  After 10 minutes add the 1/8 cup of sugar, 6 cups beef broth, 1/8 cup dry white wine, splash of Worcestershire sauce, 1 clove of minced garlic, salt and pepper.  Cover the pot and let simmer for 30 minutes.








Place bowls that can go into the oven on a cookie sheet.  Put desired amount of broth in each bowl.  Top each bowl of broth with toasted French bread and a slice of swiss cheese. 










Place under the broiler until cheese is melted and slightly brown.  Enjoy!  I mentioned that this is my Mom's recipe so I thought this would be a good time to remind you to visit her blog.  You can click here to get to it.  She has some more good recipes and nice motivational entries.  Please check it out.







0 comments: